Signing up your apprentice or trainee
Outlined below are the few steps required to sign up an apprentice or trainee to your organisation.
On this page:
- Find an Australian Apprenticeships Centre (AAC)
- Sign a training contract
- Choose a training provider
- Training Plans
- Approval and registration of the training contract
Find an Australian Apprenticeships Centre (AAC)
The AAC will:
- provide information on the most suitable apprenticeship or traineeship for your business
- assist with the choice of Registered Training Organisation (RTO) to deliver training
- undertake most of the paperwork and administrative tasks to establish and maintain the apprenticeship or traineeship to its completion
- assess eligibility to receive State and Australian Government incentive payments for apprentices and trainees and ensure applications are lodged in a timely manner
Locate a local Australian Apprenticeships Centre (AAC).
Sign a training contract
The AAC will help you and your apprentice/trainee draw up a training contract.
(Note that a parent or guardian will have to sign if the apprentice or trainee is under 18 years of age.)
The AAC forward the paperwork to State Training Services (STS) and will monitor it for you until the STS has approved and registered it.
Make sure you and your apprentice/trainee are given a copy of the training contract.
Choose a training provider
Your Australian Apprenticeships Centre can help you chose a registered training organisation (RTO) that can provide the right training for your apprentice or trainee.
The choice is yours and your apprentice or trainee's to make.
Browse through the list of RTOs approved to train in apprenticeship and traineeship courses.
Each apprentice/trainee receives an individualised Training Plan. It is developed in consultation with you, your apprentice/trainee and the RTO. It is based on the apprentice's/trainee's needs, abilities and circumstances.
Each training plan defines the core and elective subjects and relevant competencies (skills) for your apprentice or trainee.
The training plan will also list the work tasks related to the formal training and subject areas the RTO is delivering.
Make sure you and your apprentice/trainee are issued with a copy of the Training Plan.
Approval and registration of the training contract
Your AAC checks the Contract and Summary Training Plan and submits them to the Department of Education and Training - State Training Services for approval.
Training may start from the commencement date of the apprenticeship.
State Training Services will send you a letter advising of approval of the apprenticeship/traineeship.
The training contract becomes binding from either the approval date indicated or the end of the probationary period, whichever is the later. This changes the status of the apprenticeship or traineeship to registered.