Training & assessment resources
On this page:
SkillsOnline is a web-based repository of vocational training and assessment resources, including good practice examples to enhance training delivery.
Materials are developed by industry specialists to support the use of nationally endorsed training packages in NSW. SkillsOnline also includes recognition of prior learning resources.
NOTE: The SkillsOnline service provides materials for use in training delivery but does not conduct training courses.
Training packages are developed by Industry Skills Councils (ICSs) to meet the training needs of an industry or group of industries.
Training packages do not suggest how a learner should be trained. Rather, they specify the skills and knowledge required to perform effectively in the workplace.
Each training package has three components:
- Units of competency - define the skills and knowledge to operate effectively and how they need to be applied to perform effectively in a workplace context
- Qualifications framework - groups of units of competency ranging from Certificate I to Vocational Graduate Diploma level
- Assessment guidelines - the industry's preferred approach to assessment, including the qualifications required by assessors, the design of assessment processes and how assessments should be conducted.
In NSW the primary source of information for apprenticeships and traineeships is the NSW Vocational Training Orders, Commissioner Information Bulletins and qualification documents. These form a package of official training information - job and qualification descriptions, lists of competencies, training arrangements and resources, industrial relations issues.
Recognition of Prior Learning (RPL)
- Recognition of Prior Learning or RPL is an process that assesses whether existing skills and knowledge can count towards part or whole of a qualification.
- RTOs are integral to the process - providing advice and guidance, and assessment services.
- RTOs on the Approved Providers List
- must offer RPL to all participants
- are entitled to claim standard training payments for outcomes for RPL students.
- Free RPL resources can be downloaded by training providers, enterprises and learners and RPL Guides for providers, candidates and assessors.
Industry Training Advisory Bodies (ITABs)
ITABs can provide support and advice on:
- Training Package qualifications, requirements, resources and tools for quality training delivery
- meeting industry and regulatory requirements including the Australian Qualifications Framework
- emerging industry trends and skill needs in particular regions
- brokering a partnership with an enterprise.
Supporting the supervisor resources
Supervising your apprentice or trainee - free workshops and resources.
Supporting people with disabilities resources
- Disability Work: Certificate III & IV in Disability - Trainer Pack
- COAG RPL Project - Aged & Community Services Association: improving capability in the aged care industry
- COAG RPL Project - Community Mental Health