Continuing Apprentices Placement Service for Employers
What is the Continuing Apprentices Placement Service (CAPS)?
The Continuing Apprentices Placement Service is a free matching service provided by Training Services NSW. This service matches apprentices who have recently lost their job because of the economic downturn with employers looking to recruit people who have already commenced training and are keen to complete their trade qualification.
On this page:
- Which apprenticeships are covered?
- How does CAPS work?
- Can I use CAPS to find someone for my business?
- Is there any financial assistance for my business?
- Financial assistance for apprentices to relocate
- How to arrange an interview with an apprentice
Which apprenticeships are covered?
All trade apprentices who have lost their job because of the economic downturn can be registered with the Continuing Apprentices Placement Service.
How does CAPS work?
- Interested employers can
- register online
- email the registration form to firstname.lastname@example.org
- You will receive confirmation of your registration
- immediately for online registrations
Note that your information will not be made publicly available.
- Training Services NSW contacts you to confirm details of the vacancy.
- Browse the list of out-of-trade apprentices on the Continuing Apprentices Register. Personal details of apprentices are not available from the register.
- When you identify a suitable apprentice on the register you can access their contact details by sending an online request.
Contact details will only be provided to employers who have registered a vacant apprenticeship position through this service (see step 1).
- Employers then contact the apprentice, discuss the vacancy and, if appropriate, arrange an interview.
- If you and the apprentice agree to enter into an apprenticeship, contact Training Services NSW on 13 28 11 and an Officer will arrange for an Apprenticeship Network Provider (ANP) representative to visit the workplace and assist with the training contact.
- The ANP representative can advise you regarding your eligibility for Commonwealth financial incentives.
Can I use CAPS to find someone for my business?
Yes, all employers, including Group Training Organisations, can register apprenticeship vacancies.
Apprenticeship positions may be in any trade, and include full apprenticeships apprenticeships.
Is there any financial assistance for my business?
The Commonwealth Government offers a range of financial incentives for eligible employers taking on out-of-trade apprentices and extra incentives for employers in skill shortage areas.
These incentives are in addition to existing financial incentives available to employers of apprentices. For further information contact an Apprenticeship Network Provider (ANP) or go to the Commonwealth Government's Australian Apprenticeships website.
Financial assistance for apprentices to relocate
Apprentices in skills shortage occupations may be entitled to State Government financial assistance up to a maximum of $2500 if they have to relocate to another town to continue their apprenticeship with a new employer. Information about eligibility is available on the CAPS Relocation Allowance Application Form (pdf) or (zip).
How to arrange an interview with an apprentice
Note the Continuing Apprentices Register numbers of the apprentices you are interested in and
email email@example.com or call your local Training Services NSW office on 13 28 11.
Contact details of out-of-trade apprentices will be provided on request to employers who have registered an apprenticeship vacancy with this service.