Assistance for Aboriginal and Torres Strait Islanders
Training Services NSW provides expert assistance to help and guide you.
On this page:
- Aboriginal Training Coordinators
- The Way Ahead for Aboriginal People - mentoring program
- New Careers for Aboriginal People Officer
- Smart and Skilled
Aboriginal Training Coordinators
Aboriginal Training Coordinators work for Training Services NSW to specifically
- provide advice and support to employers and their apprentices and trainees
- help resolve problems or disputes that may arise in the workplace
- assist with the development of training and employment strategies for Aboriginal and Torres Strait Islander people.
Aboriginal Training Coordinators participate in regional initiatives relating to training, employment and economic development for Aboriginal and Torres Strait Islander communities.
They are available to help your business or organisation to establish important links to Aboriginal communities and service providers.
The Way Ahead for Aboriginal People - mentoring program
Did you know that Aboriginal apprentices and trainees are able to receive mentoring support under the Way Ahead for Aboriginal People program?
Way Ahead mentors
- provide support to Aboriginal apprentices and trainees and
- work with employers to help them understand organisational and workplace structure.
These mentors provide a valuable support network to ensure that apprentices and trainees can cope with lifestyle pressures faced by Aboriginal people commencing and remaining in employment.
If you have an Aboriginal apprentice or trainee who is not learning, or settling in to the workplace in any way, contact your local Training Services NSW Regional Office to arrange a visit from a Way Ahead Mentor.
New Careers for Aboriginal People Officer
New Careers for Aboriginal People (NCAP) officers provide employment assistance to Aboriginal and Torres Strait Islander people who may be seeking employment and/or looking for a career change.
NCAP officers can assist you in sourcing suitable candidates to participate in employment and training programs on offer.
Smart and Skilled
Smart and Skilled is government subsidised training that provides eligible Aboriginal students with an entitlement to training in priority skill areas, up to and including certificate III, with approved training providers. There will also be subsidised training for higher qualification levels.
Visit the Smart and Skilled website to find out about the training opportunities under Smart and Skilled.