Supervising your apprentice or trainee - free workshops and video series
- How well equipped are you to train and supervise an apprentice or trainee?
- Are you confident that you know how to get the most out your apprentice or trainee?
- Have you had problems with workplace training in the past?
On this page:
- Face to face workshops
- Supervising your apprentice or trainee - free workshops and video series
- Video series
- Supervisor resources
Training Services NSW is offering free face to face and/or virtual Supervisor Workshops to assist workplace supervisors to learn:
- how to effectively supervise and “coach” apprentices & trainees
- the importance of effective communication in the workplace
- what to expect from the training provider - arranging training that works for you and your business
- practical ideas to help address workplace bullying and harassment issues
- about Training Services NSW - who are we and how we support you and your apprentice/trainee
Download our How to supervise your apprentice or trainee - flyer
Please bookmark this page as the information for our upcoming Supervisor Workshops will be updated regularly.
Please note: if you are a builder or swimming pool builder and attend a face to face Supervisor Workshop, you may earn 1 point per hour (maximum of 4 points) towards your Continuing Professional Development (CPD) simple points system as part of the NSW Fair Trading licence renewal process.
Face to face workshops
All face to face workshops have been deferred due to the COVID19 related restrictions. We will provide an update once the situation is improved.
Training Services NSW has also developed a video series for new supervisors or supervisors looking to refresh their knowledge or gain additional skills.
It includes practical strategies you can use to improve outcomes for your learner, and ultimately, your business.
The videos will explore how to support the successful completion of an apprenticeship or traineeship, your legal responsibilities as a supervisor, and how to ensure everyone's safety at work.
By using real life examples, they will offer effective management tools including:
- How to motivate your new learner
- Managing mobile phone and technology use
- Effective one-on-one coaching techniques including how to understand and work with different learning styles.
You can watch these videos in order, exploring links and downloadable study materials along the way, or you can dive into specific topics to get targeted information and support.
- Supervising your apprentice or trainee - Welcome series
- Roles and responsibilities
- The training plan
- Workplace training
- Legal responsibilities
- Signing off competence
- In your learner's shoes
- Above the line behaviour
- Learning styles
- Bullying in the workplace
- Aboriginal learners
- How can we help?
- Download our How to supervise your apprentice or trainee - flyer [Pdf 777Kb]
- Find more information on our Supervising your apprentice/trainee page.