When you start your apprenticeship or traineeship, everybody wants to see you succeed.
The State Government and the Commonwealth Government offer assistance to encourage employers to take you on as an apprentice or trainee. They also want to make life as an apprentice or trainee easier.
On this page:
- Travel concessions
- Travel, accommodation and relocation assistance
- $100 rebate on car registration for apprentices
- Continuing Apprentices Placement Service (CAPS)
- Bert Evans Apprentice Scholarships
Transport Concession Cards
Eligible apprentices and new entrant trainees registered in NSW are entitled to receive a Transport Concession Entitlement card. This card entitles you to an Opal Concession card and concession fares on NSW government trains, buses, most ferries and light rail within the Opal network of Sydney and surrounding areas.
With a Transport Concession Entitlement Card outside the Opal network, you pay concession fares on local bus services.
Existing worker trainees are not eligible.
Travel, accommodation and relocation assistance
Apprentices and new entrant trainees may be eligible for:
- travel and accommodation assistance if they need to travel more than 120kms round trip to attend day or block release training with their registered training organisation
- relocation assistance if they are unemployed and need to relocate more than 60km in order to continue their apprenticeship or traineeship with a new employer.
Attention ! We've made some changes... see
$100 rebate on car registration for apprentices
First and second year apprentices may be eligible to receive a $100 rebate on their car registration. To be eligible for the rebate, the vehicle must be:
- registered in NSW
- registered in the name of an eligible apprentice, or jointly with an eligible apprentice
- be registered for general private or general business use
- have been registered in the name of an eligible apprentice, or jointly with an eligible apprentice, when the registration fee and motor vehicle tax were last paid
- due for renewal and paid after becoming an eligible apprentice
For more information, claim forms and eligibility requirements, visit Roads and Maritime.
Continuing Apprentices Placement Service (CAPS)
CAPS is a NSW Government service that helps apprentices and trainees in skills shortage occupations who have lost their jobs to find an employer and complete their apprenticeship or traineeship.
Bert Evans Apprentice Scholarships
The Bert Evans Apprentice Scholarships will assist apprentices in NSW who have demonstrated:
- hardship in their personal circumstances
- aptitude for vocational education and training to lead to successfully completing their trade training
- a positive attitude and application in the workplace and in off-the-job training
- the trade training in an identified skills shortage area in NSW and/or the local area.