Roles and responsibilities
Apprentices and trainees have responsibilities or obligations under the Apprenticeship and Traineeship Act 2001. Additional obligations are also outlined in the training contract signed at the commencement of the apprenticeship or traineeship.
What are my obligations as an apprentice or trainee?
You must make every effort to acquire the skills and knowledge needed to successfully complete your apprenticeship or traineeship by:
- accepting instruction and training in the vocation given by the employer or by a workplace supervisor
- attending scheduled training delivered by the registered training organisation
- completing assignments and other assessment tasks set by the registered training organisation
- maintaining the competency record book or work evidence guide if you have been issued one
- always notifying your supervisor if you are running late or unable to come to work, TAFE or another place of study
- notifying Training Services NSW if there are changes to your personal details such as name, home address, postal address or if you have any concerns about completing your apprenticeship or traineeship.
Further information about the responsibilities of apprentices and trainees can be found in “A complete guide to apprenticeships and traineeships in New South Wales”, section 4.1.1, pg. 13.