Note, a new Training Plan proforma has been released and will become mandatory from 1 March 2021. The new Training Plan proforma is now available to download from this website. In the interim period both old and new Training Plan proformas will be accepted.
The Apprenticeship and Traineeship Act 2001 governs the establishment of apprenticeships and traineeships in New South Wales, which includes the requirement that a training plan be developed for every apprenticeship or traineeship established under the Act.
Training Plan Proposal
The Training Plan Proposal:
- is developed by the employer, apprentice/trainee and nominated registered training organisation (RTO), with the help of their Apprenticeship Network Provider, at the start of an apprenticeship or traineeship
- details the vocation, qualification title and qualification level to be undertaken by the apprentice or trainee, the mode of training delivery and other preliminary training information
- confirms acceptance by the RTO of its nomination by the parties to deliver the training
- has the nominated RTO give an undertaking to develop the Training Plan within 12 weeks of approval of the Training Contract
- must be developed using the proforma provided by the Department on this website.
A copy of the completed Training Plan Proposal should be provided to the employer and the apprentice/trainee, together with a copy of the Training Contract.
The Training Plan:
- must be developed within 12 weeks of approval of the apprenticeship or traineeship
- is developed by the nominated RTO in consultation with the employer and the apprentice/trainee
- should reflect the workplace environment and nature of the work-based training to be undertaken by the apprentice/trainee
- clearly defines the respective roles employers and RTOs will play in training apprentices and trainees, and the support RTOs will provide to employers to assist with training
- is a live document that is reviewed throughout the training term and updated to reflect changes to training undertaken both on and off-the-job
- the training plan is to be updated a minimum of every six months
- supports competency-based progression and competency-based completion of apprenticeships and traineeships
- must be developed using the proforma provided by the Department on this website
- must be developed in accordance with the Training Plan Guidelines also available on this website.
Commissioner for Vocational Training