The Apprenticeship and Traineeship Act 2001 governs the establishment of apprenticeships and traineeships in New South Wales, which includes the requirement that a training plan be developed for every apprenticeship or traineeship established under the Act.
On this page:
Training Plan Proposal
The Training Plan Proposal:
- is developed by the employer, apprentice/trainee and nominated registered training organisation (RTO), with the help of their Apprenticeship Network Provider, at the start of an apprenticeship or traineeship
- details the vocation, qualification title and qualification level to be undertaken by the apprentice or trainee, the mode of training delivery and other preliminary training information
- confirms acceptance by the RTO of its nomination by the parties to deliver the training
- has the nominated RTO give an undertaking to develop the Training Plan within 12 weeks of approval of the Training Contract
- must be developed using the proforma provided by the Department on this website.
A copy of the completed Training Plan Proposal should be provided to the employer and the apprentice/trainee, together with a copy of the Training Contract.
The Training Plan:
- is developed by the nominated RTO in consultation with the employer and the apprentice/trainee
- should reflect the workplace environment and nature of the work-based training to be undertaken by the apprentice/trainee
- clearly defines the respective roles employers and RTOs will play in training apprentices and trainees, and the support RTOs will provide to employers to assist with training
- is a live document that is reviewed throughout the training term and updated to reflect changes to training undertaken both on and off-the-job
- supports competency-based progression and competency-based completion of apprenticeships and traineeships
- must be developed using the proforma provided by the Department on this website
- must be developed in accordance with the Training Plan Guidelines also available on this website.
Training Plan Guidelines
The Training Plan Guidelines provide information on the:
- training obligations of parties to an apprenticeship or traineeship
- role and obligations of the Registered Training Organisation (RTO)
- purpose and how to complete the Training Plan Proposal
- purpose, how to complete and key components of the Training Plan
- Training Plan Proposal [pdf] [Word 2007]
- Training Plan [pdf] [zip] [Word]
- Training Plan Guidelines [pdf] [zip]