Many people have secured their future through an apprenticeship or traineeship. By developing their skills in a real workplace, they've set a foundation for a great career.
There's plenty you can do right now to make your CV even more attractive to future employers.
On this page:
- Volunteer or join a community group
- Stay in contact with your trainers
- Improve your communication skills
- Learn from others
Volunteer or join a community group
Consider gaining experience and industry connections while helping your community.
Not only does it feel good to give back, volunteering can help you find a job by putting you in contact with respected business leaders in your community.
Volunteering boosts a CV and you may meet people who can be your referee or even become your employer.
Improve your communication skills
Effective communication is an important life skill. Whether you're being interviewed, asking for a raise, speaking with clients, giving a presentation or rallying your team for a long-haul job, you need to be good at communicating.
Stay in contact with your trainers
It's never too early to start making professional contacts. Don’t forget your trainers are experts in their field and have a great link with industry and may know of projects that are to start in the future.
Explore these free online resources
- Download The Art of Public Speaking by Dale Carnegie and Joseph B. Esenwein at LearnOutLoud.com
- With over 332,000 members and 15,400 clubs worldwide, Toastmasters offers resources for preparing speeches, presenting awards and giving sales pitches
- Create an online portfolio on LinkedIn. It's a great way to showcase your work and connect with employers. It will also keep your achievements fresh in your mind, which helps when you're filling out job applications or attending job interviews
- Explore Seek’s advice on how to write a succinct resume that highlights your skills and achievements. Your resume will change over time and depending on the job you’re applying for, so bookmark this handy page.
Learn from others
- The Australian Apprenticeships Pathways YouTube Channel hosts videos featuring the experiences of apprentices and trainees
- The Real Stories Real Achievements series shares the stories of those who've secured greater employability, earning potential and a better life through an apprenticeship or traineeship
- Pathways to Success showcases the great work opportunities available through apprenticeships and traineeships.