Changing employer

You may need to change your employer during your apprenticeship or traineeship. The following provides information on different situations, what you need to do and other options available to assist you.

Why you may need to change your employer?

  • There’s a downturn in available work
  • Your employer is unable to train you in all elements of your training plan
  • Your employer is unable to perform workplace assessments for the successful completion of your qualification
  • You’re not being given an opportunity by your employer to attend training delivered by your training organisation
  • Your employer is not giving you the opportunity to undertake the work-based or self-paced learning that has been set by your training organisation
  • Your probationary period has elapsed and you or your employer or both of you have decided to cancel your apprenticeship or traineeship as it’s not working out.

What if you're not getting along with your employer?

Even the best work relationships hit a rut. If your relationship with your employer is suffering, work can be especially challenging. Maybe you haven’t been seeing eye-to-eye lately or maybe you never really hit it off. 

If things are going wrong or if you’re concerned that things may go wrong in the future, we can help.

The first thing you should do if you're unhappy with a work situation is to try and discuss the problem with your employer.

Our Training Services NSW officers can help you talk to your employer by offering confidential advice and support.

We can provide information about your options, suggest how to approach your employer or, if you feel you need further support, we can attend a meeting with your employer to talk about your situation.

If none of these approaches work, we can support you to figure out what to do next.

How do you transfer your apprenticeship or traineeship to a new employer?

If either you or your employer wants to transfer your apprenticeship or traineeship to a new employer, you’ll both need to sign an Application to Transfer form and lodge it with Training Services NSW.

A transfer can only occur if it’s by mutual agreement with your current employer and your new employer.

You will also need to contact your current employer’s Apprenticeship Network Provider to advise them that you have a new employer.

Application for the transfer of an apprenticeship or traineeship When you transfer your training contract all the terms, conditions, rights, and obligations of your original employer are transferred to your new employer. All parties will be notified when the transfer has been approved.

What do you do if you've lost your job?

If you lose your job, the Continuing Apprentice Placement Service (CAPs) can help.

CAPs is a free job matching service that helps apprentices in skills shortage occupations find a new employer. The service coordinates with Group Training Organisations, employers and Apprenticeship Network Providers to connect employers with apprentices.

Once you’ve signed up for CAPs, they will contact you to confirm your details and talk about your training and employment needs. After you’re registered, an employer will be able to search for information about you, such as your trade, experience and your preferred work location.

You should also widen your search and look for work on online job sites, through job matching agencies or by approaching employers directly.

Apprentice who lost his job

Make sure you continue your formal training while you're temporarily unemployed!
Tradesman hard hats

What if you're offered a new job in another location?

If you’re offered a new role in a skills shortage occupation, you may be entitled to financial assistance to help you relocate to or from a regional area to continue your apprenticeship or traineeship.

Discover if you’re eligible: Relocation Allowance Application Form.

You’ll need to submit your relocation expense claim within three months of commencing work with your new employer.

How can a Group Training Organisation help you?

Group Training Organisations (GTOs) directly employ apprentices and trainees and then place them with a host employer.

They are responsible for ensuring you have consistent employment and training that will lead to the completion of your training contract and qualification.  

You’ll benefit from working for a GTO if you would like to try out a range of host employers over the course of your apprenticeship or traineeship. They provide opportunities for employers who can’t support an apprentice or trainee for the full term of their training contract.

Explore your options.

Unemployment benefits

While you’re looking for a new job, you may be entitled to unemployment benefits. You’ll also need to be registered with Centrelink to receive help from job search agencies and support organisations.

Check your eligibility for Centrelink benefits.


Page last updated: 4 September 2018