GTO Pre-Apprenticeship Pre-Traineeship Training Partnering Program and Apprenticeship Incentives Program
On this page:
The GTO Pre-Apprenticeship and Pre-Traineeship Partnering Program aims to increase growth in apprenticeships and traineeships by improving the transition of people 15-40 years old into pre-apprenticeship or pre-traineeship training.
Funding is available to Group Training Organisations (GTOs) for the recruiting, screening and for the referral of suitable applicants for pre-apprenticeship training with the view to employ participants on completion, where possible. Training by a Partner Provider will be via the Smart and Skilled pre-apprenticeship and pre-traineeship part qualifications program streams.
Contributions are encouraged from other program partners such as jobactive providers, schools, industry and the Group Training Association of NSW and ACT.
Training Services NSW administers the programs by facilitating partnerships between, Group Training Organisations, Smart and Skilled Providers.
The program aims to facilitate a smooth transition from school to vocational training and employment for young people. The program enables students to:
- familiarise themselves with vocational choices and the requirements of the workplace
- receive support and advice from a GTO and Provider to see whether a particular type of apprenticeship or pre-traineeship is suitable prior to making a full commitment to an apprenticeship or traineeship
- undertake pre-apprenticeship or pre-traineeship training in an apprenticeship or traineeship vocation
- receive mentoring and assistance to complete their training and where possible, transition into an apprenticeship, traineeship or further education.
The program aims to achieve:
- 2,000 commencements in pre-apprenticeship and Pre-traineeship training across NSW over the three stages
- greater than 85% completion rate for training
- greater than 50% attainment rate for apprenticeships, traineeships, employment opportunities and/or further training.
To increase apprenticeship completions in NSW, an outcome driven Apprenticeship Completion Incentive payment of $1,000 will be available to funded GTOs for target apprenticeship completions over three years.
How to participate
To be eligible to participate in the Programs:
GTOs must meet the following requirements:
- be a registered GTO in NSW under the Apprenticeship and Traineeship Act 2001 and maintain this registration throughout the program or other requires as my be determined
- support an industry which employs apprentices or trainees in NSW
- be registered for the Goods and Services Tax (GST)
- have the capacity to employ apprentices or trainees in NSW.
Partner Provider Eligibility (training)
For the GTO Pre-Apprenticeship and Pre-Traineeship Partnering Program, GTOs will only be eligible for outcome payments, when they contract with Partner Providers who:
- are Registered Training Organisations (RTO) contracted to deliver government-subsidised training under a Smart and Skilled Contract throughout the training period (known as a Provider under the Smart and Skilled Contract and Partner Provider under this Program)
- have a nationally recognised qualification or Units of Competence (UoCs) explicitly stated on its scope of registration in NSW (Training.gov.au)
- are able to work collaboratively with the GTO to ensure the training needs are met and do not exceed half of the term of the traineeship or the first year of the Apprenticeship
- are able to complete the pre-apprenticeship or pre-traineeship training by 30 April 2017 (Year One), subsequent Year(s) are specified in section 11.3 of this document; and
- do not have any sanction(s) in place under the Smart and Skilled Contract and/or Australian Skills Quality Authority.
Student eligibility, under the GTO Pre-Apprenticeship and Pre-Traineeship Partnering Program, GTOs will only be eligible for payments, for the following category of people:
- people between 15 and less than 41 years old at the time of enrolment who have left school
- meet the Smart and Skilled Student Eligibility criteria to participate in the training
- meet the Apprenticeship and traineeship applications - Approval Requirements
Application, targets and timelines
The application for both programs covers three Program Years from 2016-2018. Only one application per GTO will be accepted and assessed on criteria set out in the Program Requirements and Guidelines.
The Apprenticeship Completion Incentive Program consists of a payment of $1,000 for each apprenticeship completion (up to a maximum cap for GTO for each Year of the Program).
- 1 April 2016 – 31 March 2017, payable April 2017
- 1 April 2017 – 31 March 2018, payable April 2018
- 1 April 2018 – 31 March 2019, payable April 2019
The GTO Pre-Apprenticeship and Pre-Traineeship Training Partnering Program, consists of up to $1,500 per approved Target Allocation place for students undertaking pre-apprenticeship or pre-traineeship training and subsequently become an apprentice or trainee over the Program Year Period.
- Year One - from October 2016 - 30 April 2017, outcomes achieved will be assessed with final payments made May/June 2017.
- Year Two - from July 2017 - 30 April 2018, achieved outcomes will be assessed with final payments made May/June 2018.
- Year Three - from July 2018 - 30 April 2019, achieved outcomes will be assessed with final payments made May/June 2019.
Where to find training
For students and employers, please use the Group Training Organisations spreadsheet [.xlsx 37KB] to contact and enquire about availability.