People with Disabilities in Construction Training on Central Coast

Smart and Skilled provider Construction Trade Qualifications (CTQ) Pty Ltd, with the support of our Hunter and Central Coast office, is partnering with Employment Service Provider, Castle Personnel, and local contractors to provide training in Certificate II in Construction for 14 students.

By working together, these organisations are providing local Central Coast students with pathways to suitable employment. Special needs student support has been incorporated into the training – including tutorial support, managing stress, employability techniques, nutrition, confidence building and travel training.

According to Darren Sing, CEO and co-owner and trainer of the group with Joey Ristuccia at CTQ “Identifying and creating employment outcomes, satisfying and exceeding the requirements set out for each unit and providing each student with their own individualised educational pathway, regardless of barriers or previous experience, is the foundation of a successful educational program”.

Students take a break in front of a cubby house they are building to approved building specifications.  It will be donated to a local childcare centre on completionWith a 100 per cent retention rate, all students are on track to complete their course requirements over the next few days.

Over 70 per cent of the student cohort have received opportunities for further employment since completing work experience with local and Sydney based businesses, whilst the remaining 30 per cent will be provided further job opportunities in industry.

Job roles include residential construction, pool building and installation, window construction and installation, joinery and scaffolding, NBN installation, and trainer’s aide work.

Students will graduate at a ceremony on the Central Coast at the end of the May.

Page last updated: 17 May 2017