The Way Ahead for Aboriginal People
The Way Ahead for Aboriginal People provides mentoring services for Aboriginal apprentices and trainees who need additional support in the workplace.
Mentors are chosen because of their experience and acceptance within Aboriginal communities.
On this page:
The Mentor role
- guide, counsel and support the Aboriginal apprentice or trainee
- visit the work or training place if needed
- talk to employers, supervisors and trainers
- assist the Aboriginal apprentice or trainee to access other forms of support
- maintain regular contact with the Aboriginal apprentice or trainee until they are deemed to no longer need assistance.
Looking for an Aboriginal Mentor?
There is now a simple process for accessing an Aboriginal mentor under The Way Ahead program. All you need to do is complete the online referral form and hit the submit button. The Aboriginal Initiatives team will do the rest. Requests can be made by Aboriginal apprentices or trainees, parents, employers, Australian Apprenticeships Centres or Registered Training providers.
These guidelines are currently being revised.