The Way Ahead for Aboriginal People
The Way Ahead for Aboriginal People provides mentoring services for Aboriginal apprentices and trainees who need additional support in the workplace.
Mentors are chosen because of their experience and acceptance within Aboriginal communities.
On this page:
- The Mentor role
- Looking for an Aboriginal Mentor?
- Program information
- Applying to become an Aboriginal Mentor
- Good news stories
The Mentor role
- guide, counsel and support the Aboriginal apprentice or trainee
- visit the work or training place if needed
- talk to employers, supervisors and trainers
- assist the Aboriginal apprentice or trainee to access other forms of support
- maintain regular contact with the Aboriginal apprentice or trainee until they are deemed to no longer need assistance.
Looking for an Aboriginal Mentor?
There is now a simple process for accessing an Aboriginal mentor under The Way Ahead program. All you need to do is complete the online referral form and hit the submit button. The Aboriginal Services team will do the rest. Requests can be made by Aboriginal apprentices or trainees, parents, employers, Australian Apprenticeships Centres or Registered Training providers.
- The Way Ahead for Aboriginal People guidelines [1MB pdf]
- The Way Ahead for Aboriginal People brochure [2MB pdf].
Contact your local Training Services NSW office Ph: 13 28 11 to arrange a mentor through The Way Ahead for Aboriginal People mentoring program.
Applying to become an Aboriginal Mentor
Training Services NSW, Aboriginal Services employ Aboriginal mentors on a casual basis to provide mentoring support to Aboriginal learners (apprentices/trainees). Please read the Way Ahead for Aboriginal People guidelines above, before completing an application form.
To apply to become an Aboriginal mentor you will need to complete the following forms:
- Mentor Application form [234kB pdf]
- Bank Details form [522kB pdf]
- Working with Children Check - Information, Appendix 4 [261kB pdf]
- Working with Children Check - Information for Employers [252kB pdf]
- Working with Children Check - Fact Sheet [201 kB pdf]
- Working with Children Check - Proof of identity, Appendix 6 [195kB pdf]
- Declaration for child-related work - Appendix 7 [441kB pdf]
- Informed Consent Form - NPCS, Appendix 8 [344 pdf]
Additionally, you will also need to provide:
- Proof of Identity (Documents signed and witnessed by a Justice of the Peace or equivalent person) – refer to NSW Department of Industry Proof of Identity [195kB]
- An up to date curriculum vitae (CV)
- Proof of Aboriginality
Further to this, you will need to have an understanding of the Department's Code of Conduct.
It is a condition of The Way Ahead for Aboriginal People mentoring program that mentors are an Aboriginal Person. Aboriginality is a genuine occupational qualification and is, authorised by section 14 of the Anti-Discrimination Act, 1977.
It is an offence for a person convicted of a serious sex offence to apply for this position. All mentor applications will be assessed by an assessment panel.
Completed applications need to be emailed to the following address:
Attention: Program Coordinator