General construction induction training (White card): COVID - guidance
We’d like to advise industry and training providers that general construction induction (white card) training can still be delivered during the NSW lockdown restrictions via connected real-time delivery.
The COVID pandemic is significantly impacting the ability of providers to deliver face-to-face training. In recognition of this, the Commonwealth, state and territory WHS regulators have worked with Safe Work Australia to develop national parameters to enable providers to deliver white card training via “connected real-time delivery”. This also includes other delivery or administrative supporting arrangements (e.g. provision of digital or hard copy training materials).
What is “connected real-time delivery”?
- Live video streaming/conferencing using platforms such as Zoom, Skype, Teams.
- Real-time interaction between the learner and the trainer.
- Active participation of learners and trainers.
- Verification of learner Evidence of Identity (EOI) can be established one-on-one (or face to face) via video conference.
- Direct observation or verbal assessment can be undertaken for all assessment components.
Are there limitations on the delivery of connected real-time white card training?
Training must involve real-time interactions between the learner and the trainer and include one-on-one (or face-to-face) training and assessment interaction.
The training must not:
- be delivered entirely via an online learning management system through portals
- include a pre-training requirement
- include self-paced learning
- include pre-recorded trainer videos or teaching course content (FYI: this does not include educational videos showing construction sites).
Are there any further limitations of connected real-time white card training?
- No pre-training can be included.
- No self-paced learning can be included.
- No pre-recorded trainer videos teaching course content can be used (FYI: this does not include educational videos showing construction sites).
Connected delivery providers
The following providers are:
- SafeWork approved for connected real-time delivery
- Smart & Skilled approved.
Please note: Although the following providers are approved to deliver training via connected real time, they may not be offering training at a particular point in time. To confirm, please directly contact the providers.