NSW JobTrainer/Skilling for Recovery
The NSW JobTrainer/Skilling for Recovery program is supporting vocational training and skills development across NSW.
We are partnering with industry, vocational education and training providers, and the Australian Government to make vocational training and skills development across NSW easier and more accessible. Our priority is to support the State’s economic recovery by providing the skills businesses need to sustain our economic development. Our goal is to prepare for the jobs of the future through a resilient and stronger workforce.
The program offers fee free and low fee training options to boost skills with full and part qualification course options, as well as personalised support to assist people navigating the skills and training opportunities available in NSW.
Over 100,000 training places relevant to jobs of the future have been funded by the NSW and Australian Government in over 20 industries.
Bespoke state, regional and localised services will be provided to enable the program to be easily accessed by eligible people in need of vocational skills and training development support.
Skilling for Recovery is a $318.56M program funded by the NSW Government and Australian Government to support NSW citizens through this difficult employment and economic environment.
Explore the initiatives
- Skills brokers – localised assistance across NSW to help retrain or upskill your staff or to find trained staff to fill roles with specific skill requirements.
- Workforce development – supports large employers and investors in NSW in developing and implementing customised workforce development strategies.
- Construction industry initiatives – supports construction contractors to build workforce capability and capacity by providing fee-free part qualifications to address current and future skills shortages.
- Funded qualifications – full and part qualifications are available to support young people and job seekers find rewarding employment across target industries, as well as support to help people who need to retrain or up-skill to stay in work.
- Summer skills - range of short-term and fee-free skills courses available for 2020 Year 12 school leavers.
- NSW JobTrainer - provides fee-free training courses for young people, job seekers and school leavers to gain skills in Australia's growing industries.
Training is available for new staff who meet the eligibility criteria and existing staff who are at risk of unemployment and require retraining in order to secure ongoing employment.
If an employer is interested in recruiting new people for their workforce or wanting to upskill their existing workforce they may be eligible for fee-free training through NSW JobTrainer/Skilling for Recovery.
People undertaking training must meet the Smart and Skilled eligibility criteria and fit into at least one of the categories below:
- a young person aged 17-24 at the commencement of training, regardless of employment status, including Year 12 school leavers
- Commonwealth Government welfare benefit recipients
- an unemployed person
- an employed person who is expected to become unemployed (e.g. companies in declining industries, people whose employment is conditional on immediately undertaking work relevant training, workers who have been stood down or furloughed).
Eligible participants will also need to be:
- living in NSW or working in NSW
- be an Australian or New Zealand citizen, permanent resident or humanitarian visa holder
- no longer at school.