Aboriginal and Torres Strait Islander student of the Year eligibility and selection criteria
The NSW Aboriginal and Torres Strait Islander Student of the Year Award recognises the achievement of an Aboriginal or Torres Strait Islander student who displays a strong understanding and knowledge of the vocational education and training system and demonstrates the relevance of lifelong learning for themselves and their community.
- identify as being of Aboriginal or Torres Strait Islander descent;
- have completed*, or be due to complete their training or vocational studies between 1 October 2020 and 30 September 2021 in a training course that leads to a nationally recognised outcome or qualification relevant to this award;
- have a registered training contract with the NSW Department of Education** and must supply their Training Contract ID (TCID) number
or, be a full-time or part-time student;
- not still be enrolled in school^;
- only be nominated by one nominator, either their registered training provider, employer, GTO, Apprenticeship Network Provider or school^; and
- not be nominated in subsequent years for the same qualification.
Note: *refers to the completion date on the training contract/vocational course. If the nominee has completed early or through competency based completion, evidence of this early completion must be attached to the online application.
**If you are an Apprentice, Trainee or School-Based Apprentice/Trainee.
^Unless you are a School-Based Apprentice/Trainee
NSW Training Award - Aboriginal & Torres Strait Islander Student Criteria [Pdf]