Living Away From Home Allowance (LAFHA)
What is the LAFHA allowance?
LAFHA is a Commonwealth Government allowance to assist young people who have to move away from home to take up or continue with an apprenticeship or traineeship.
You might be entitled to:
- 12 months at the first year rate of $77.17 per week
- a further 12 months assistance at the second year rate of $38.59 per week
- a third 12 months assistance at the third year rate of $25 per week.
What is required to be eligible?
There are a number of conditions you need to meet to be considered for LAFHA including:
- you must be a registered apprentice or trainee
- you must have to move away from your family or legal guardian’s home to take up or continue in your apprenticeship or traineeship
- you have to move away from home to receive essential supplementary on-the-job training with another employer
- you are a homeless apprentice or trainee.
Contact your Australian Apprenticeships Centre contact for further information and an assessment.
How to apply
- You will need to complete and submit an application form for LAFHA to your Australian Apprenticeships Centre to apply for the allowance. Your Australian Apprenticeships Centre contact can provide you with an application form.