I Have Lost My Job

Maybe CAPS (Continuing Apprentice Placement Service) can help.

What should you do?

  • Advise Training Services NSW of your situation and status
  • Look for an apprenticeship through the various employment agencies and on line services
  • Check your eligibility for unemployment benefits with Centrelink
  • Sign up for the Continuing Apprentice Placement Service (CAPS)
  • Don’t stop your formal training - Apprentices and trainees should continue their formal training with their training organisation (e.g. TAFE) while they are temporarily unemployed.

What is CAPS? Training Services NSW has set up a service that helps:

  1. apprentices
  2. trainees in a skills shortage occupation

who have lost their jobs because of the economic downturn to find an employer and complete their apprenticeship or traineeship.

How it works

  1. Unemployed apprentices/trainees register using the online or printed form.
  2. The unemployed apprentices/trainees register is called the Continuing Apprentices Register and is publicly available online. It does not show personal details.
  3. Employers register with CAPS as being willing to take on an apprentice or trainee who is part way through their apprenticeship/traineeship.
  4. Employers identify suitable apprentices/trainees on the Continuing Apprentices Register and complete a registration form (if they are not already registered).
  5. Training Services NSW contacts the employer to discuss the opportunity they are offering for an apprentice or trainee.
  6. Training Services NSW contacts the apprentice/trainee to discuss the type of work and training that they need to complete their apprenticeship or traineeship.
  7. The employer and apprentice/trainee arrange to meet.
  8. If a job offer is made and accepted, an Apprenticeship Network Provider (ANP) visits the workplace when the apprentice/trainee commences to prepare a training contract between the employer and apprentice/trainee.

Types of Apprentices/traineeships

Positions on offer may be

  • full time or part time
  • school based (for current high school students)
  • directly with a business or through a Group Training Organisation.

Financial assistance to relocate

Apprentices and trainees who are completing a certificate in a skills shortage occupation may be entitled to State Government financial assistance up to a maximum of $2500 to relocate to another town to continue their apprenticeship or traineeship.

Copies of receipts for removal expenses and a rental lease arrangement will be required to claim the expenses. See the CAP Relocation Allowance application form (pdf) or (zip) for eligibility criteria, talk to Training Services NSW about your eligibility and when your new training contract has been approved, complete the application form.

How to register for CAPS

Complete the Apprentices/Trainees Registration form online and lodge it by clicking on the send button.

You can print the Registration Form and fax it to (02) 9266 8590 or e-mail the completed form to sts.caps@industry.nsw.gov.au.

You will receive confirmation of your registration within two days.

Registering your details does not guarantee an offer of employment. You should continue to look for another position.

Need to talk to someone?

Ring your local Training Services NSW office – ph 13 28 11 or email sts.caps@industry.nsw.gov.au.

Unemployed apprentices and trainees can also seek help from:

Page last updated: 27 July 2017