Travel and Accommodation Assistance

for apprentices and trainees in NSW


  • Vocational Training Assistance Scheme (VTAS) and
  • Continuing Apprentices Placement Service (CAPS)

What is travel and accommodation assistance?

car travelling on regional roadApprentices and new entrant trainees may be eligible for travel and accommodation assistance if they need to travel more than 120kms round trip to attend day or block release with their registered training organisation.

Who is eligible?

  • Registered apprentices or new entrant trainees in NSW.

Who may not be eligible for travel assistance?

Back to Top

Who is not eligible?

Existing worker trainees[?]

Things you should know

If you live and travel within the boundaries of Sydney Trains you may be eligible for the $0.33c per kilometre travel assistance if you do not use Government transport because it is unsuitable. You need to lodge an Applicant Signed Statement (pdf) or (zip) outlining the circumstance with your first claim.

How to apply?

  • Download the Vocational Training Assistance Scheme (VTAS) application form (pdf) or (zip).
  • Complete the form, sign it, and also have your RTO sign it.
  • If required, complete an Applicant Signed Statement (pdf) or (zip) and have your employer sign it.
  • Lodge the application form together with the Signed Statement (if applicable) with your local Training Services NSW office.

Back to Top

Further information

Click here to download Travel and Accommodation AssistanceDownload further information on eligibility available from the Travel and Accommodation Assistance guidelines [pdf] or email:

Page last updated: 14 May 2018