Changing employer

You may need to change your employer during your apprenticeship or traineeship. The following provides information on different situations, what you need to do and other options available to assist you.

Why you may need to change your employer

  • due to lack of available work
  • being unable to train and be assessed in all parts of the qualification by the employer
  • you are not being given an opportunity to attend training delivered by the training provider or undertake work-based or self-paced learning or assessment set by the training provider
  • Once your Probationary Period has elapsed your apprenticeship / traineeship may be cancelled by mutual consent, or at the request of one of the parties to the Training Contract.
Application for the transfer of an apprenticeship or traineeship

Not getting on with your employer

Training Services NSW training officers are available to help you when things go wrong, or if you are concerned that things may go wrong in the future. If you're unhappy with a current work situation you should try to discuss any problems you have with your employer. If you feel you need help to talk to your employer, or have tried and not had any luck you can contact Training Services NSW on 13 11 28 for support.

We provide confidential advice about workplace or training problems. Training Services NSW can provide information about your options, suggestions about how to approach your employer or if you feel you need further support can even can attend a meeting with your employer to talk about your apprenticeship/traineeship.

In some situations you and/or your employer may wish to transfer your apprenticeship/traineeship to a new employer. A transfer needs to be by mutual agreement with your current employer and your new employer. They will need to sign an Application to Transfer form. You'll then need to lodge it with Training Services NSW. You should also contact your current employer’s Apprenticeship Network Provider to advise that you have a new employer as they too need to know of the change. All parties will be notified when the transfer has been approved. When you transfer your Training Contract all the terms, conditions, rights and obligations of the original employer are transferred to the new employer.

I've lost my job

As an out of trade apprentice the Continuing Apprentice Placement Service (CAPs) can help. CAPs is a free job matching service that helps apprentices in skills shortage occupations find a new employer. The service coordinates with other agents such as Group Training Organisations, Employers and Apprenticeship Network Providers where an employer is trying to find a new apprentice.

Once you have signed up for CAPs we'll contact you to confirm your details and see where you're up to with your on and off-the-job training. You'll then receive an email confirming that you have been registered. Once you have registered an employer will be able to see your details such as your trade, what year you are in for your apprenticeship and what locations you are looks for work.

Registering with CAPs doesn't guarantee employment. You should also look for work in other ways such as online job sites, registering with job matching agencies, checking newspapers or approaching employers directly.

Apprentice who lost his job

Make sure you continue your formal training while you're temporarily unemployed!
Tradesman hard hats

Financial assistance to relocate

If you are an apprentice/trainee completing a qualification in a skills shortage occupation, you may be entitled to financial assistance to help you  relocate to or from a regional area to continue your apprenticeship/traineeship with a new employer. If you meet eligibility you can need to submit your claim for relocation expenses within 3 months of commencing a Training Contract with your new employer.

As a part of the eligibility on page two of the Relocation Allowance Application Form, it provides an explanation of who and how to apply as well as what evidence is required to support your application.

Group Training Organisations

Group Training Organisations (GTOs) employ apprentices and trainees and place them with host employers. GTOs assume responsibilities for the employment and training towards achieving completion of the Training Contract between you and your host employer.

GTOs provide opportunities for employers who can’t support an apprentice/trainee for the full term of a Training Contract. In some cases you may work with a number of host employers who will provide you with the full extent of training you require in your apprenticeship/traineeship.

Unemployment benefits

During the time you aren’t employed you may be entitled for unemployment benefits, check your eligibility for Centrelink unemployment benefits either via their website and or by calling. You will need to be registered with Centrelink to receive help from job search agencies and support organisations.


Page last updated: 01 July 2018