Help for retrenched workers
If you are facing retrenchment because your employer is downsizing or closing, you may be eligible for government subsidised training to help you to upskill and retrain for new employment.
Vocational education and training can give you skills and qualifications that are linked to good job prospects and needed by NSW employers. Training is nationally accredited and recognised by employers in all industries.
On this page:
- For training and related support
- For apprentices and trainees
- The Regional Training and Employment Strategy
For training and related support
Contact your local Training Services NSW office on 13 28 11 for information and advice on:
- Government subsidised courses, eligibility conditions and costs
- Local training providers, careers and employment services, events and activities
- Skills and trade recognition
Read our job guides to get an understanding of job roles, the training needed, job prospects and pay.
Then go the Smart and Skilled coursefinder to look for government subsidised training that best meets your needs.
To download this information in [pdf] format click here.
For apprentices and trainees
If you are an apprentice or trainee affected by your organisation closing or downsizing the following assistance is available:
- Options to fast-track 1st - 3rd year apprentices to help complete off-the-job training
- Eligibility for accommodation and travel assistance to enable ‘out of work' apprentices to continue to attend trade training
- Continuing Apprenticeship Placement Service (CAPS) to match ‘out of work' apprentices with employers
For more information, please view the CAPS page or phone 13 28 11 to be directed to your nearest Training Services NSW office.
Download further information here.
The Regional Training and Employment Strategy
The Regional Training and Employment Strategy (RTES) seeks to increase participation in training, strengthen workforce participation and support economic growth in rural and regional NSW. The strategy supports retrenched workers, apprentices and trainees by providing training and related assistance.
The (RTES) initiative has 3 programs:
- Retrenched Workers Assistance
- Partnering for Jobs
- Pathways for School Leavers
To find out more go here.