Help NSW stay COVID safe
Greater Sydney is on high alert. COVID-19 is spreading fast. Stay safe, stay at home.
For the latest information on COVID-19 visit nsw.gov.au/covid-19
On this page:
- VET training in Greater Sydney
- VET training in regional and rural NSW
- Stay-at-home orders
- Latest advice from NSW Health
- COVID-19 case updates
- COVID-19 Mental Health, business advice and other support
- Frequently Asked Questions
VET training in Greater Sydney
Where possible during the lockdown, formal training should be delivered online or deferred.
School based apprenticeships and traineeships (SBATs) were previously suspended from Monday 19 July. This suspension was lifted effective 23 July 2021. What this means is that SBATs may undertake employment as part of their SBAT as long as this employment complies with NSW Public Health Orders.
All other apprentices and trainees may continue to undertake their employment, as long as that employment is in accordance with NSW Public Health Orders.
Learn more about the restrictions for Greater Sydney that impact you.
VET training in regional and rural NSW
For students in regional and rural NSW, online learning is strongly encouraged, however face to face delivery is possible with compliance with NSW Public Health Orders.
Some interstate jurisdictions may change border entry arrangements that will affect NSW learners. Call 13 28 11 if you would like information for your local area.
Learn more about the restrictions for regional and rural NSW that impact you.
Face masks must be worn in all non-residential indoor venues and this includes using public transport, hire vehicles, taxis and rideshare services.
Updated information about face masks rules can be found on NSW Health.
The current stay-at-home order for Greater Sydney, including the Central Coast, Blue Mountains, Wollongong and Shellharbour local government areas, has been extended until 11:59 pm 28 August 2021.
If you live or work in these areas, the following restrictions apply:
- Only one member of the household should leave home to shop for food once each day.
- You may leave home to seek medical care, exercise, or for essential work and education.
- You can leave home to get a COVID test or get vaccinated.
- Do not have visitors to your house, including family visitors if they do not live at your house.
Everyone in your family should get tested if anyone has COVID-19 symptoms or has come into contact with someone with COVID-19.
Latest advice from NSW Health
You should regularly check the NSW Government COVID-19 news and updates for the venues and locations and adhere to advice where required.
There are some changes to our advice for providers both within Greater Sydney and outside of Greater Sydney. For providers within Greater Sydney (including the Blue Mountains, Central Coast, Wollongong and Shellharbour) and outside of Greater Sydney (including the Central West), we have provided updated advice below.
Increased restrictions in Greater Sydney (for Blacktown, Campbelltown, Canterbury-Bankstown, Cumberland, Fairfield, Georges River, Liverpool and Parramatta LGAs)
There are now increased restrictions for residents living in Blacktown, Campbelltown, Canterbury-Bankstown, Cumberland, Fairfield, Georges River, Liverpool and Parramatta Local Government Areas (LGAs). In compliance with the new NSW Public Health Order, the following applies:
- Students in the identified LGAs should be undertaking training online.
- Apprentices or trainees may continue with their employment if: this can be undertaken from home; or their employer is in the same LGA as where they live and their employer is allowed to open; or they are classified as an “authorised worker” exempt from the lockdown (visit www.nsw.gov.au/covid-19/rules/greater-sydney).
Formal training should be undertaken online or deferred (excluding school based apprentices and trainees - SBATs). SBATs should continue formal training virtually. Note, extended breaks in formal training for SBAT students may impact achievement of the HSC.
- Providers in the identified LGAs should be delivering all courses online.
Learn more about the restrictions in Greater Sydney.
COVID-19 case updates
The NSW Government website continuously updates the identified COVID-19 case locations in NSW. Make sure you regularly visit the website and encourage your staff to do the same. Please follow the instructions if you have visited one of the locations.
For further information please see our Frequently Asked Questions.
COVID-19 Mental Health, business advice and other support
The following links are to other sources of information on COVID-19:
- Mental wellbeing resources
- Mentally healthy workplaces - free business training resources from the NSW Government
- NSW Health Facebook videos - 3 pm daily is a public Q&A session
- Guidance for businesses with linked COVID cases
- General COVID-safe advice for businesses
Wear masks indoors. Protect yourself and others.
We appreciate that we are in challenging times and advice may be updated. Please share this advice with your students as soon as possible. We will be in contact as soon as there is anything that relates to your ability to deliver training to your students.
Frequently Asked Questions
- Information for apprentices and trainees - updated 30/07/21
- Information for Registered Training Organisations - updated 30/07/21
- Information for organisations employing apprentices and/or trainees - updated 30/07/21
- Information for students of TAFE NSW and other training providers - updated 23/07/21